These pages will document my experience of owning, maintaining, and sailing this beautiful yacht. I hope that you enjoy your visit.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Launch day

Sojourner was launched today.  Unfortunately,  things didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped.  After being on the hard for several weeks, her starter battery was dead and the house batteries appear to also not have any life. 

Luckily, I brought along a battery charger which was able to get the house battery going.  Although, the diesel started, there was now very little water coming out of the exhaust outlet.  After checking the water pump,  I could see that the impeller was damaged so I took it out and went to West Marine to get a new one.  I actually got a spare as well.  After installing that, there was still little if any discharge out of the exhaust. 

What to do?  I began disconnecting hoses that were on the suction side of the engine thinking that there might be an air lock.  Each one was disconnected and blown into.  Then each was primed with water.  Still only a few drops of water came out.  The final hose to be disconnected and checked was an unlikely one: going from the heat exchanger to the exhaust.  After disconnecting it and opening the sea cock, water came out.  I reconnected the hose and then started the engine which resulted in a stream of water coming out of the exhaust outlet.  There appears to have been an airlock on the discharge side of the engine.  I am not sure how that occurred but being on the hard for several weeks probably was the culprit. 

After letting the engine run for about a half hour,  I was able to cast off lines and head towards the marina where Sojourner would be docked.  It was a beautiful day to be on the water.  Everything went well for the trip, including getting the feel for the boat as we maneuvered under the draw bridge and out into Charleston Harbor. 

It is most definitely different having a full keeled boat.  She turns well and getting into the slip bow first was not a problem.  I can see that the most difficult for her will be going in reverse.  We were able to get her to her destination.  Every day is a learning experience.

No comments: