These pages will document my experience of owning, maintaining, and sailing this beautiful yacht. I hope that you enjoy your visit.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Purchasing


I had no idea about the process of purchasing a boat. I thought that you would get to "test" drive the boat. I knew that she would have to be surveyed. But I wasn't sure about the order of things.

So luckily, the first number I called was that of Capt. Neal Haynes of Blue Water Surveys. He was a Godsend because he not only walked me through the process, but he talked plainly to me about the reality of what might be wrong with a boat her age. I am glad that he didn't sugarcoat anything. I needed to hear that she might not be the one for me. I read the book on Inspecting the Aging Sailboat by Don Casey. I was beginning to see all that could possibly be wrong.

When the survey date came around, I was prepared. I followed Neal as he did his inspection. I didn't go up the mast with him. But could see from his comments that this boat had no major problems. He was actually impressed by her!

There were a few blisters on the starboard side of her rudder but none on her hull. There were some other obvious cosmetic work that needed to be done such as new non-skid put on her decks. Her dodger and mainsail cover were worn. Her bottom was in need of new paint. But there were no major issues! I was thrilled.

The last hurdle was to get the results of the oil test that Neal had sent away to be completed by a lab. When he called me to tell me that those results were fine, I knew that Sojourner would be my boat. The owners, Jeff and Jodi Wager, have been great to work with and were ever so patient about questions and the purchasing process. Glen Appelbaum of Ashley Yachts was gracious as well.

I cannot say enough good things about Capt. Haynes though as he not only invited me to his home to discuss the results of the survey with him and his wife, he did the most comprehensive survey one could imagine. If you are buying a boat, this is the man. I have heard him called, "Neal the Deal Breaker", but for me his eagle eye didn't miss a thing. I would highly recommend him.

So the closing process went well. She was now mine.

Next, I'll write about the trip to the boat yard where the survey was done and progress on work there.

No comments: